HOWTO: Full independent VCT cam control in BA 6 cyl

Roland@pcmtec

This only works for a manual. If you have an auto you will need the workshop edition and to manually copy over the automatic settings and tables (see steps further down).

First read your vehicle and save the file (do not license it). 

Next go to the stock file wizard and press "create stock file from strategy" and enter in A3VC / HAAT3VC

Then press "create and merge" and load the file you saved originally.

License the file. If you have previously licensed your other file this step will cost 2 extra credits.

Now go to auF12646 and flip the switch, this will invert the oil pressure sender signal as the F6 has a different switch.

image.png.c13f157e3a3d060c95970948d2191cbb.png

Now you will have a fully independent F6 strategy in your BA. To take advantage of this calibration it is recommended to add 24 degrees over overlap from 1500 - 3500 rpm, this will help spool the turbo the same way the late model BF and FGs do.

auF16503

image.png.af01db17166870b7f7b99fdeaf0cd37d.png

auF16492

image.png.7c0034e60db5e6720a99e98d28bb9888.png

NOTE If the car was previously tuned, you will need to copy the spark and speed density tables over re-scaling them as you go. This is as the BA F6 speed density and spark tables are the same size as the BF not the BA. Hence a compare will not copy the values over. This is very important.

Automatic conversion

If you have a BTR auto you can compare your file to another BA automatic turbo such as 32YC / HAANFY4 and copy over the relevant automatic settings. Here is an example of some of the parameters you may need to copy. This will need to be carefully tested to ensure the BTR shifts as expected.

image.thumb.png.169a751960b1a4c11a661b460d5a48c6.png

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 12/3/2019 at 5:06 PM, Roland@pcmtec said:

This only works for a manual. If you have an auto you will need the workshop edition and to manually copy over the automatic settings and tables (see steps further down).

First read your vehicle and save the file (do not license it). 

Next go to the stock file wizard and press "create stock file from strategy" and enter in A3VC / HAAT3VC

Then press "create and merge" and load the file you saved originally.

License the file. If you have previously licensed your other file this step will cost 2 extra credits.

Now go to auF12646 and flip the switch, this will invert the oil pressure sender signal as the F6 has a different switch.

image.png.c13f157e3a3d060c95970948d2191cbb.png

Now you will have a fully independent F6 strategy in your BA. To take advantage of this calibration it is recommended to add 24 degrees over overlap from 1500 - 3500 rpm, this will help spool the turbo the same way the late model BF and FGs do.

auF16503

image.png.af01db17166870b7f7b99fdeaf0cd37d.png

auF16492

image.png.7c0034e60db5e6720a99e98d28bb9888.png

NOTE If the car was previously tuned, you will need to copy the spark and speed density tables over re-scaling them as you go. This is as the BA F6 speed density and spark tables are the same size as the BF not the BA. Hence a compare will not copy the values over. This is very important.

Automatic conversion

If you have a BTR auto you can compare your file to another BA automatic turbo such as 32YC / HAANFY4 and copy over the relevant automatic settings. Here is an example of some of the parameters you may need to copy. This will need to be carefully tested to ensure the BTR shifts as expected.

image.thumb.png.169a751960b1a4c11a661b460d5a48c6.png

Hi Roland I’ve got a ba xr6 factory turbo and it has all the same vct tables as the f6 and I can flip that oil pressure switch, they look the same but could you clarify what’s different between them 

28 minutes ago, westo said:

Hi Roland I’ve got a ba xr6 factory turbo and it has all the same vct tables as the f6 and I can flip that oil pressure switch, they look the same but could you clarify what’s different between them 

The auF12646 "OIL PRES LO OPEN Switch" is a parameter that's set to 0 if you're using an F6 cluster or set to 1 for na & XR6 turbo. If you have the wrong setting, or simply swap the cluster for the wrong type, the oil light will stay on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bill said:

The auF12646 "OIL PRES LO OPEN Switch" is a parameter that's set to 0 if you're using an F6 cluster or set to 1 for na & XR6 turbo. If you have the wrong setting, or simply swap the cluster for the wrong type, the oil light will stay on.

Ah ok, it does have a bf mk2 cluster in it now and the auf12646 is set to 1, if I set it to zero the oil light will be on and I won’t have the independent vct settings?

Just now, westo said:

Ah ok, it does have a bf mk2 cluster in it now and the auf12646 is set to 1, if I set it to zero the oil light will be on and I won’t have the independent vct settings?

It doesn't affect the VCT settings AFAIK.

BF na & XR6T have independent VCT & use the same auF12646 settings as BA na & XR6T. BF F6 uses the same setting as BA F6.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, westo said:

If you get the switch the wrong way around it just reverse the oil lamp function, eg you'll get a red light when oil pressure is healthy, and when you have low oil pressure it'll turn off. Other than the indication it should not actually do anything else, its also very easy to test.

5 hours ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

If you get the switch the wrong way around it just reverse the oil lamp function, eg you'll get a red light when oil pressure is healthy, and when you have low oil pressure it'll turn off. Other than the indication it should not actually do anything else, its also very easy to test.

Yer fair enough that makes sense about the switch, so to achieve fully independent vct I still need the f6 tune and load my current tune onto that, the ba f6 tune is that for 5 speed or 6 speed as I’m currently trying to figure out how to get cruise control working in 6th gear on my ba

7 hours ago, westo said:

Yer fair enough that makes sense about the switch, so to achieve fully independent vct I still need the f6 tune and load my current tune onto that, the ba f6 tune is that for 5 speed or 6 speed as I’m currently trying to figure out how to get cruise control working in 6th gear on my ba

To have "Fully Independent VCT" in a BA, you will need the F6 strategy HAAT3VC. F6 is 6 speed manual.

To get cruise working in 6th, start by looking at the "GEAR" parameters....Gear ratio, Gear min ratio & Gear max ratios. Also make sure your diff ratio is correct.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

To have "Fully Independent VCT" in a BA, you will need the F6 strategy HAAT3VC. F6 is 6 speed manual.

To get cruise working in 6th, start by looking at the "GEAR" parameters....Gear ratio, Gear min ratio & Gear max ratios. Also make sure your diff ratio is correct.

So if I license the f6 tune not only will I get fully independent vct but will also have the 6 gears in the gear scaler as the ba only has 5 gears in the gear scaler?. All ratios have been changed to the correct minimum and maximum up to 5th gear, I set the diff ratio to 3.7 but my diff is still a 3.4 and cruise didn’t work, so I set it back to 3.4 and cruise works up till 5th gear 

9 minutes ago, westo said:

So if I license the f6 tune not only will I get fully independent vct but will also have the 6 gears in the gear scaler as the ba only has 5 gears in the gear scaler?

Correct. You’ll still need to follow the instructions at the start of the post once you have the F6 strategy 

18 minutes ago, Bill said:

Correct. You’ll still need to follow the instructions at the start of the post once you have the F6 strategy 

I got the f6 catch code from a forum in here a while ago, and it’s loaded onto the laptop and it’s only got 5 gears in the gear scaler as well. Is there any reason why it doesn’t show the 6th gear or is there another catch code 

1 hour ago, westo said:

I got the f6 catch code from a forum in here a while ago, and it’s loaded onto the laptop and it’s only got 5 gears in the gear scaler as well. Is there any reason why it doesn’t show the 6th gear or is there another catch code 

My factory t56 ba mk2 also only has 5 gears defined but compared to a 5 speed manual strategy the 5th gear min/max was a bit bigger so cruise control thinks gear 5/6 is just in gear 5

• Like 1

Just now, XeAssert said:

My factory t56 ba mk2 also only has 5 gears defined but compared to a 5 speed manual strategy the 5th gear min/max was a bit bigger so cruise control thinks gear 5/6 is just in gear 5

Ok mate cheers, my car is running tr6060 and originally I used the ba f6 gear ratios and I’m sure the cruise worked in 6th but would turn off completely when I touched the clutch or brake pedal and wouldn’t turn back on, since then I used the fg gear ratios and cruise works in all gears bar 6th, I might revert back to the ba f6 ratios and keep bug hunting 

14 minutes ago, XeAssert said:

This is a really simple method. Set the 5th gear min/max wider and datalog gear mtx to make sure the ratio is within the 5th range.

27 minutes ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

This is a really simple method. Set the 5th gear min/max wider and datalog gear mtx to make sure the ratio is within the 5th range.

What channel is the gear mtx under,

I have commanded gear by transmission, desired gear, ess inhibitor gear, last gear commanded, commanded gear and gear ratio across transmission

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bikboi said:

Hey guys I normally use HAAT3VC however I'm currently looking at a BA RTV (HAAO6SZ) with a turbo conversion, does anyone know of a strategy with the diff lock controls and the BF tables VCT etc? thanks.

I've had a bit of a look at this too & all the strategies I've looked at didn't have the VCT switch or the BF tables. AFAIK, there isn't one unless I missed checking one.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bill said:

I've had a bit of a look at this too & all the strategies I've looked at didn't have the VCT switch or the BF tables. AFAIK, there isn't one unless I missed checking one.

Thanks Bill, I'll keep looking around and see what I can find.

1 hour ago, Puffwagon said:

Slightly off topic but sorta on topic...how would ya go getting an FG pcm and tcm into a BF so you get the hectic fuel cut on the shifts? Worth it if the trans was out?

If it were only that simple....the BA/BF CANbus system is different to the FG. There's a lot more to it than swapping in a FG pcm & tcm & re-pinning a few wires.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2021 at 11:19 AM, Roland@pcmtec said:

Converting the PCM to a BF might be an option also.

Is there a how to thread on this?

I believe you would need to change over loom and alternator, possiblity of a few other things.

I've considered doing this as ive wanted to put a ZF in one of my BAs

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2019 at 3:06 PM, Roland@pcmtec said:

is this still the case, with being unable to setup f6 on ba auto if you only have professional? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/20/2021 at 3:38 AM, 05xtsleeper said:

Can this be done on a ba n/a pcm?

I have some good news for the people that have manual n/a ba's tested on a 2005 manual mk2 n/a. 

Its not as simple as just flashing it to your pcm you will need your stock ba manual n/a strategy for the f6 strategy to work as a n/a strategy and then you need a bf manual n/a strategy for all the new tables in the f6 strategy and flash it to your pcm and now your n/a will have independent cams now. 

Please do at your own risk 

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

im about to do this for a mates conversion (au bf gassy na petrol converted ba loom with au t5)

i have three ecus to choose from, will it matter whitch one

ABU-242 A3AD, ABU-242 A3AA and ABU-212 32AL.

is there a preference for the PCM to use, or just use any 242 as the way i understand it thats a later hardware spec? (is it faster?)

11 hours ago, BeerTurbo said:

im about to do this for a mates conversion (au bf gassy na petrol converted ba loom with au t5)

i have three ecus to choose from, will it matter whitch one

ABU-242 A3AD, ABU-242 A3AA and ABU-212 32AL.

is there a preference for the PCM to use, or just use any 242 as the way i understand it thats a later hardware spec? (is it faster?)

If you're going to use a BA PCM, the ABU-242 is the later hardware. It replaced the ABU-212 part way through 2003. AFAIK, the 242 is no faster than the 212.

"auF13397" "Enables Electronic Crash Sensor's control of the fuel pump" was added for the ABU-242. It's likely that Ford changed the hardware number to ABU-242 due to this change. 

A3AA, A3AB, A3AC, A3AD, A3AE, A3AF is the sequence. There's a change in OSID between some of these strategies.
NOTE: Some lazy Ford workshops didn't always replace the PCM sticker when they carried out PCM updates so what's on the sticker may not be correct. I have an ABU-242 from a 2003 BA here that is labelled A3AA but it has the latest update ie A3AF HAANGF5

30 minutes ago, Bill said:

BF PCM's & engine looms are usually pretty cheap if the local wreckers have a few & would be my preferred option if available. A faster, more reliable PCM & the strategies all have full independent VCT cam control.

Cheers for the update. Some good info.

Yeah i cant be bothered pining the acc pedal to match bf ecu tho haha.

40 minutes ago, BeerTurbo said:

Cheers for the update. Some good info.

Yeah i cant be bothered pining the acc pedal to match bf ecu tho haha.

If it's going to be registered & get engineering compliance, you'll need to add wiring for the O2 sensor on the BA as it was in the body loom.
On the BF, the O2 wiring is part of the engine loom. Depending on what the car is going to be used for, you may have some wiring mods to do but either option will work.

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, LRiordon said:

I’ve just done this and now the cars stuck in third is there a breakdown of the tables that need to be changed to get the btr to work  

What are your fault codes? Are they transmission related.

The original post has suggestions on settings & compare strategy. Have you tried those settings & compared strategies? 

11 hours ago, LRiordon said:

I’ve just done this and now the cars stuck in third is there a breakdown of the tables that need to be changed to get the btr to work  

Someone may be willing to post up a working file to save you the hassle. Perhaps even offer to purchase it off them.

If anyone has a fully working automatic BTR HAAT3VC file with functional VCT/Ghost Cam and you publicly post it on the forums I will personally credit you 5 credits. Please put any spark/boost settings back to safe defaults if you do this.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 12:12 PM, bikboi said:

Ive got an old file here created when first playing with dual cam control, from memory it worked well with a stock car.

no ghost cams or anything, however the how-to on the forum for this is a great example.

let me know if it works for you.

HAAT3VC Auto enabled.tec 930.55 kB · 0 downloads

so this can be loaded into a BA xr6t? (with caution ovbously)