4 Speed BTR Gear Changes

DanStraffa

Hello has anyone fiddled with the 4 speed BTR. 

Can you set when you want the gear changes in drive or performance mode?

I’ve changed the diff gears in my car over a year ago, from the 3.45 to 4.11 gears.

Before in Drive it use to change into 4th at 60 now I have to be doing 68-70 for it to change.

I have changed my daily Ute from the 3.23 m78 open to the 3.73 m86 LSD diff.

In PCMTECH i adjusted (2 from memory) settings that had the diff ratio. However the change from 1-2 will hit redline before changing on full throttle. I understand the falcon does gear changes based on wheel speed not RPM. I also noticed while locked in 3rd towing it wont lock the converter anymore.

I have been pretty lazy with it, but i was going to find a ba turbo strat and compare the gearbox information, as they are standard with that diff.

Ill follow this thread and see how you go with yours, keen to hear what works for you.

Edited by BeerTurbo

16 hours ago, DanStraffa said:

Haven’t tried changing anything yet, I’m still new at this.

Short answer is yes you should be able to configure all of those items.

Long answer is there are lots of different parameters to change. I would start by comparing a late model Turbo BA to a stock auto NA BA and see what Ford did from the factory. Then start by changing one thing at a time, make notes of what you changed and what the results were and keep iterating until you get the result you want. Make sure you only change one thing at a time, otherwise you can go in circles.

Check the common strategy thread for a list of strategies you can try.

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/21/2018 at 7:59 PM, DanStraffa said:

Hello has anyone fiddled with the 4 speed BTR. 

Can you set when you want the gear changes in drive or performance mode?

I’ve changed the diff gears in my car over a year ago, from the 3.45 to 4.11 gears.

Before in Drive it use to change into 4th at 60 now I have to be doing 68-70 for it to change.

Yep, I'm tuning the BTR in my 2007 SY Territory which I've just installed a built FG turbo engine into. Diff ratio has been changed from 3.73 to 3.23.

You need to change the axle ratio in the axle table, however this won't automatically correct the gear changes. In the shift/lock schedule you also need to scale the transmission shift points. You'll need to reduce the table by ~ 0.85 and see test drive to see.

A word of advice. The performance shift table is not the performance shift table. Try adjusting either of the Shift Schedule Towing/Towing Cruise Mode tables to adjust the transmission when in SSS mode.

Did you know the PCM for the BTR can also allow the engine to make the 'farting' noise during gearshift?

Having reviewed a lot of A4 tunes from various places it's no wonder the BTR transmissions had such a high failure rate. Their programming was completely wrong.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Background, changed diff ratio from 3.23 to 3.73. I have already updated the axel ratio fields.

So ive spend some time today playing with the shift schedule table. i would love to know whats the axis mean, i assume the far left is throttle?

anyway, i banged in the shift schedule from the car that came out with the diff ratio i changed to, the numbers were slight higher (stock 5200 ba turbo 5600).... the car still hit redline on change.

I changed all the shift schedules to the same table and then went about playing. I found when my max values were something like 4700, the car would change gears around 5700 rpm and no longer bash redline.

image.png.7898f2e5014d77a04074bd38209b374e.png 

Here goes;

Column 0 - Throttle %

Column 1; 1-2 shift

Column 2; 2-3 shift

Column 3; 3-4 shift

Column 4; 4-3 shift

Column 5; 3-2 shift

Column 6; 2-1 shift

Column 7; TCC unlock 3rd

Column 8; TCC lock 3rd

Column 9; TCC unlock 4th

Column 10; TCC lock 4th

Shift Schedule Towing is Performance Mode.

The values are a multiplication of gear ratio, not engine RPM. 3rd gear is 1:1 which matches engine RPM. Allow several hundred RPM for shift event to occur, especially in lower gears or an engine which revs quick. 

• Like 2

On 2/8/2019 at 7:02 PM, Romulus said:

Here goes;

Column 0 - Throttle %

Column 1; 1-2 shift

Column 2; 2-3 shift

Column 3; 3-4 shift

Column 4; 4-3 shift

Column 5; 3-2 shift

Column 6; 2-1 shift

Column 7; TCC unlock 3rd

Column 8; TCC lock 3rd

Column 9; TCC unlock 4th

Column 10; TCC lock 4th

Shift Schedule Towing is Performance Mode.

The values are a multiplication of gear ratio, not engine RPM. 3rd gear is 1:1 which matches engine RPM. Allow several hundred RPM for shift event to occur, especially in lower gears or an engine which revs quick. 

Hi Mate, cheers for that, if you were local to me id buy you a beer.

Been having some fun with the shift points today and im verry happy with the results.

your not wrong about the shift taking some time. my first gear shifts are now triggered at 4850 RPM and will tip the RPM gauge at 5800/5900 rpm. when i had them triggerd at 5k the would just touch the limiter....now they are smooth and the car accelerates perfectly..this is only a stock Na with 2.5inch exhaust and 3.7 rear gears.

my biggest complaint about the falcon was how quickly it loved to change into second, and given how long first gear is it really needed to stay in it more... ive left the bottom end of the shift points and moved the middle up and the top to a point where we dont hit redline and bloody hell the car feels so much better to drive now. its not sluggish or trying to do everything in second, it will hold 1st so you can do a start on a corner then accelerate out without going 1st-2nd then back to first.

verry happy with how its all going.

• 2 years later...
On 2/8/2019 at 10:02 PM, Romulus said:

hey mate sorry to bring up an old post, but how is the multiplication worked out? what is it multiplied by and with what?
Thanks in advance ☺️

17 hours ago, JayJay said:

hey mate sorry to bring up an old post, but how is the multiplication worked out? what is it multiplied by and with what?
Thanks in advance ☺️

The multiplier is the transmission gear ratio. 3rd gear is 1:1 so the table = engine rpm.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JayJay said:

stupid question, say if first gear is 2.743 to one, how do i calculate it out? 

is it 2.743 times xRPM ?

Looking at the table from BeerTurbo, column 1 @ 100% throttle, you would multiply 2170 x 1st gear ratio which gives you the calculated engine RPM for the gearshift.

2170 x 2.39 = 5186rpm. Hope that helps.

Gear ratios are:

1st - 2.39:1
2nd - 1.45:1
3rd - 1.00:1
4th - 0.68:1

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Romulus said:

Looking at the table from BeerTurbo, column 1 @ 100% throttle, you would multiply 2170 x 1st gear ratio which gives you the calculated engine RPM for the gearshift.

2170 x 2.39 = 5186rpm. Hope that helps.

Gear ratios are:

1st - 2.39:1
2nd - 1.45:1
3rd - 1.00:1
4th - 0.68:1

it does, thank you very much 

12 minutes ago, JayJay said:

it does, thank you very much 

its been forever since ive done BTR stuff, however with the ZF you can just use the unit converter in pcmtec to see the shift points, i presume will work for BTR files.

click utility, unit converter, go to speed up top, click load values from file. 

change the rpm around and it will show you the oss.

remembering a BTR will take a solid forever to change gears, so altho it may say 5k is your shift point it may change at 5800. The zf is similar, however from expense its more like 150 rpm or so of, zf changes much quicker. 

Edited by BeerTurbo

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/1/2021 at 7:18 PM, JayJay said:

stupid question, say if first gear is 2.743 to one, how do i calculate it out? 

is it 2.743 times xRPM ?

So i did some research and found someone from HPtuners and found the user hiddeous had compiled a excel sheet for the ZF transmissions, i have edited it to suit the BTR gearboxes, Full credit goes to Hiddeous for making the file.

instructions are to fill in the yellow sections with the desired data, i suggest filling out desired shift speeds in KM/H then look at the engine RPM its shifting at then lower it to suit so your not redlining it then copy the final OSS table

Sorry if this isnt aloud admin, i was hoping it would be able to help others out

BTR Shift Tables v1.0.xlsx

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/16/2022 at 6:26 AM, dat111 said:

i will keep this thread rolling. 

BTR throttle response.. is there any information/data available to change it? wanting some more bang for my squeeze (ba xr6t)

Set the throttle filter table to all 1.0s. The example below is for a manual, if you put 1.0s everywhere in a manual it is more likely to induce bucking/clunking in car parks. In a BTR you can probably set the whole table to 1.0 without issue.

image.png.da56b1ced986460f8701852b609d7a70.png

You can also modify auF10228 time constant for throttle filtering which effectively multiplies the whole table. Be careful with what you put in here, if you put numbers > 1 or negative I'm not sure if there are safety functions to cap the output, but you might end up with a run away throttle if you did so. Make sure to test in a safe environment.

ID    Name    Value
auF10228    TIME CONSTANT FOR THROTTLE FILTERING    0.1

• 5 months later...
On 12/22/2018 at 12:09 PM, Romulus said:

Yep, I'm tuning the BTR in my 2007 SY Territory which I've just installed a built FG turbo engine into. Diff ratio has been changed from 3.73 to 3.23.

You need to change the axle ratio in the axle table, however this won't automatically correct the gear changes. In the shift/lock schedule you also need to scale the transmission shift points. You'll need to reduce the table by ~ 0.85 and see test drive to see.

A word of advice. The performance shift table is not the performance shift table. Try adjusting either of the Shift Schedule Towing/Towing Cruise Mode tables to adjust the transmission when in SSS mode.

Did you know the PCM for the BTR can also allow the engine to make the 'farting' noise during gearshift?

Having reviewed a lot of A4 tunes from various places it's no wonder the BTR transmissions had such a high failure rate. Their programming was completely wrong.

Hey mate. I was wondering if you can actually get the BTR to make that farting noise when shifting. Really only want it on the 1-2 change. But what would I need to do to get that noise when changing? 

Hey mate. Was wondering how to get the BTR to make that farting noise like the ZF  when shifting… 

Hey mate. Could you send me details on how to get the BTR to make that farting noise when shifting similar to a ZF. Let me know…

You really need to go and understand the torque sources and the way the pcm works.

the fg zf will do cylinder cut, you can make a b series do cylinder cut but its no where near as refined for shifting and your basically making the car run like shit if you do this

Log the transmission TQ request on shift. for zf being transmission shift modulation.

auF2565, should be 3.

change : auF1479. LAMBSE Default when Torque Source = 0. Change this to a number. id start around 0.90. 

auF0262 : Spark torque management, change transmission shift modulation to 1

auF0261 : other TQ reductions. change shift modulation to around 0.6.

auF0265/auF0264 change this so the throttle blades not used. 

now the cars going to try cylinder cuts on shifts. but its basically terrible.

~

turn yourself around and try it the other way. huge spark cuts on shift.

auF2565, should be 3.

change : auF1479. LAMBSE Default when Torque Source = 0. Change this to a number. id start around 0.90. 

auF0262 : Spark torque management, change transmission shift modulation to 0

auF0261 : other TQ reductions. change shift modulation to default 0

auF0265/auF0264 change this back to std.

change max spark retard, i cant advise here i think its -15 by default... but go into the antilag thread and look at that information.

change auF0263 to whatever you want, make it more.

your then telling the car to cut huge amounts of spark-with fuel-on gearchange.

now there to much information in here but I feel i need to say this, all of this shit will proberly damage your car and its not my fault if you try it. learn about what the stuff does first before playing with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

Something else you could try is massively leaning/richening it during shifts almost to the misfire limit. 

This coupled with spark retard may give you what you are after. 

Eg try 1.2 or 0.6 lambda. 

i found super rich on spark retard muffled the noise, lean was better but you could also get noise around 0.9
super rich on spark cut was gunshots. but would prob kill your cat and stuff.

• 3 months later...
On 2/25/2023 at 5:19 PM, Roland@pcmtec said:

Something else you could try is massively leaning/richening it during shifts almost to the misfire limit. 

This coupled with spark retard may give you what you are after. 

Eg try 1.2 or 0.6 lambda. 

Are all of those parameters @BeerTurbo listed available in the Professional version of PCMTEC? Not that it really matters as I won't be tuning my car myself currently but just wanting to know for future reference. Cheers.

Thinking of pushing 400rwkw through a stock NA BTR with a large trans cooler and adjusted S5 solenoid.

• 5 months later...
On 2/25/2023 at 2:18 PM, BeerTurbo said:

You really need to go and understand the torque sources and the way the pcm works.

the fg zf will do cylinder cut, you can make a b series do cylinder cut but its no where near as refined for shifting and your basically making the car run like shit if you do this

Log the transmission TQ request on shift. for zf being transmission shift modulation.

auF2565, should be 3.

auF0262 : Spark torque management, change transmission shift modulation to 1

auF0261 : other TQ reductions. change shift modulation to around 0.6.

auF0265/auF0264 change this so the throttle blades not used. 

now the cars going to try cylinder cuts on shifts. but its basically terrible.

~

turn yourself around and try it the other way. huge spark cuts on shift.

auF2565, should be 3.

auF0262 : Spark torque management, change transmission shift modulation to 0

auF0261 : other TQ reductions. change shift modulation to default 0

auF0265/auF0264 change this back to std.

change max spark retard, i cant advise here i think its -15 by default... but go into the antilag thread and look at that information.

change auF0263 to whatever you want, make it more.

your then telling the car to cut huge amounts of spark-with fuel-on gearchange.

now there to much information in here but I feel i need to say this, all of this shit will proberly damage your car and its not my fault if you try it. learn about what the stuff does first before playing with. 

Noted for future reference.

Just got a hold of my spare BTRs as of a couple of hours ago. Will be on box #3 shortly (the left one which came out a mate's car, actually works alright). #1 was the turbo box on the right. Blown though (crunchy gears except in third, metal flakes all over the pan when we dropped it out to swap with #2), so I will be rebuilding with E series 26mm oil pump, AU planetaries, better bands etc.

#2 currently in car, lost reverse.

Technically, car drives. Rolls when off (no park).

Reverse acts as a poor man's transbrake - stalls up and can dump into neutral (forward lmao) or drive. Up near 3k the car starts to jolt in reverse. Like a bump box but reverse haha.

Neutral is drive. Drive is drive, and tiptronic works.

FORScan logs P, N, D as gear 3 or 4, reverse as vice versa. Tiptronic is indicated correctly, 1 through 4th.

Suspected blown/welded together clutch packs. If a solenoid well I will just pull one out of #1 box on right.

IMG_4133.thumb.jpeg.a9a2ff12d05dec7876cd34a7a4f47957.jpeg

Why am I writing all of that, you may ask?

I have a XR6T which I'm planning to push 400-500rwkw through (and eventually TR6060 swap to see 800-900rwkw - if I couldn't manage to have a BTR hold that sort of power which I admit wouldn't happen. Only know of one car, the old ICER red BA XR6T which was sold - owner listed it at like 760rwkw through a DTM(?) or maybe Preston built BTR, tuned by Dynomite), and want to keep it controlled by the factory PCM at all costs due to being able to modulate solenoid pressures, torque reduction, shift points etc. AFAIK the intermediate shaft is the weakest point on the BTR, once "fully" built. Casing is small but really we should see some more aftermarket support for such cheap and plentiful boxes.