HOWTO: 8 Channel Analog Input Datalogging

Roland@pcmtec

If you can find something now definitely order it as this may be due to a chip shortage that is out of everyone's control. Dont hold off as I have no idea if we or anyone else can order these in any quantity. 

Alternatively we are investigating an analog canbus solution such as the following so we don't have to worry about ground offsets etc. This could realistically be months away however. 

https://www.aemelectronics.com/products/cd-digital-dash-displays-adapter-harnesses/aemnet-can-bus-expansion-modules/6-channel-can-sensor-module

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/29/2020 at 7:26 PM, Roland@pcmtec said:

The driver is already included in the PCMTEC Editor installer so no extra software is needed.

Hey Guys 

Just having issues with a DLP, showing this.....984260155_DLPerror.PNG.874ec149adf91c010a99f4f849be2df9.PNG

So I thought I might have a dud DLP until I checked the other one.. (I ordered 2)

Same story.

Any Ideas?? 

Editor Version 2.11.8175.27682

Cheers Rob

12 hours ago, rfh said:

Hey Guys 

Just having issues with a DLP, showing this.....984260155_DLPerror.PNG.874ec149adf91c010a99f4f849be2df9.PNG

So I thought I might have a dud DLP until I checked the other one.. (I ordered 2)

Same story.

Any Ideas?? 

Editor Version 2.11.8175.27682

Cheers Rob

Hi Rob, hopefully you don't have faulty devices. @Puffwagonhas mentioned previously in this thread that he had to reinstall drivers when his wouldn't connect.
Have you checked the DLP is being found by the laptop when plugged in? Check in Device Manager > Ports 

Here's a link to drivers & a test application on the DLP website if needed https://www.dlpdesign.com/usb/io8.shtml

• Like 1

Thank You Bill..

Have loaded the following from their page :asd.PNG.8a784fd0d4ddcd8dfd23138aa57464dd.PNG

Connection success.... 

Has anyone seen any variation in voltage displayed in the logger vs a multimeter on the dlp terminals?

I am seeing 5.03 meter vs 4.93 on the logger... will need to check for difference from the innovate software vs the logger....

Cheers 

Does your wideband have a serial output? 

I've put together a little hack project that takes 1 of the DLP inputs and converts it to serial then passes it into the PCMtec scanner. Haven't been able to test it as my car is the panel beaters for a few weeks. It works on my test bench. 

@rfh or anyone else if you're familiar with serial port pairing or virtual serial ports in general and are familiar with microcontrollers or C# / Visual Studio I'd be happy to post up what I've done so far. Prerequisites are a win 11 x64 machine and a quality serial to usb converter. Rolands not allowed to look because I don't want him to see how bad I am at coding.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 2:41 PM, rfh said:

Thank You Bill..

No worries Rob. Good to see you got it sorted.

On 7/8/2022 at 2:41 PM, rfh said:

Has anyone seen any variation in voltage displayed in the logger vs a multimeter on the dlp terminals?

I am seeing 5.03 meter vs 4.93 on the logger... will need to check for difference from the innovate software vs the logger....

I haven't checked but might need to find some time to check

7 minutes ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

Looks good! If we ever get a spare minute we would supply a plugin standard so you could write your own data stream inputs. 

Is it working reliably? 

Every hour or two there would be a small glitch where you lose maybe half a second of data. Never got to the bottom of it. Bench test overnight went fine, was still going when I woke up. 

Should have my car back next week. I'll put some laps on it to double check real world conditions and iron out the last of the bugs. 

I couldn't get a shim going. I haven't got the skills for that. 

On 7/8/2022 at 4:42 PM, hjtrbo said:

@rfh or anyone else if you're familiar with serial port pairing or virtual serial ports in general and are familiar with microcontrollers or C# / Visual Studio I'd be happy to post up what I've done so far. Prerequisites are a win 11 x64 machine and a quality serial to usb converter. Rolands not allowed to look because I don't want him to see how bad I am at coding.

Hjtrbo, Well over my head mate, thank you though.

seeing 5.03 meter vs 4.93 on the logger

Is this measured at the DLP terminals. As puffwagon has stated, there can be voltage drop if measuring from a different ground point. 

With regards to drivers, FTDI are the developers for these on the DLP boards:

https://ftdichip.com/drivers/vcp-drivers/

Hjtrbo, Looks great! You had to do the same thing as myself (adding to Nistune software) and put the lambda/AFR checkbox in there so you pickup the data from the AEM correctly. They also do a 'boost' gauge with similar output

On 7/12/2022 at 1:19 PM, Matt@pcmtec said:

Is this measured at the DLP terminals. As puffwagon has stated, there can be voltage drop if measuring from a different ground point. 

Yep... same ground point.

4 different multimeters and getting a slightly different result each time so... 

Back to back the logger with the innovate logworks serial output and adjusted till they matched.

Serial / CAN really is the go with widebands. Bloody voltage offsets are a pain in the ass when you're trying to get open loop enrichment down to the last couple of percent.

Still ok to use voltage of course, its just serial is generally better in most cases.  

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Mick said:

How do you rate the Tech Edge wideband?

I've got a Techedge 2J9, an Innovate LC-1 and have just purchased an Innovate ECB-1 that I haven't used yet.

The LC-1 is still going after 11 years although I haven't used it for a while. One of the leds in the gauge stopped working but last I checked the controller still worked. It only uses the older style LSU 4.2. Over the life of the wideband controller I only replaced the sensor once due to it being flooded.

I've owned the Techedge for about 5 years maybe and recently the heater controller in the unit is playing up. I have to power cycle it 4 or 5 times after starting the car before it works properly. I've replaced 3 or 4 sensors with the unit, one only lasted a few weeks. I don't know if this was the controllers fault or I had a faulty sensor. I also bought a digital gauge for the readout and haven't had an issue with it.

I know that only using one of each unit isn't much to go off but I bought another Innovate unit based of the longevity of the previous one. The ECB-1 also has other functions which is something I need.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 11/9/2021 at 9:52 AM, Matt@pcmtec said:

Possible alternative for DIY enthusiasts with Arduino device (such as the Nano or Mini). The project I've pasted here

https://forum.nistune.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3880

Load the Arudino IDE, create a new project, paste code, compile and upload to the Nano/Mini

Connect all unused inputs to ground, then it works same as the DLP

do you have a copy of the code. nistune forum is down

• 5 months later...
On 11/16/2023 at 11:04 PM, GeorgeAuto said:

Long shot but if you still have I would buy 

I may have a new DLP + AEM X-SERIES 30-0310 all wired up ready to go. I put it together for a bloke, he lost his job & I haven't heard from him for a few months. If you're interested, send me a PM & i'll check if he still wants it.

4 hours ago, Bill said:

I may have a new DLP + AEM X-SERIES 30-0310 all wired up ready to go. I put it together for a bloke, he lost his job & I haven't heard from him for a few months. If you're interested, send me a PM & i'll check if he still wants it.

Ok great let me know how much you're after please, I got a Wideband in there at the moment, just want to log into the software, all my mates are saying I should have gone AEM, I ended up with an innovate LC2 doing ok at the moment on 98 but heard that Innovate not so good with 85, hearing lots of varying info though so confused, thanks for reaching out 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GeorgeAuto said:

with 85

The main thing to watch out for with E85 is the water content. It will absorb water from the atmosphere over time and this will pass through the engine and out the exhaust. If you let your car sit for 6 months there will be a steady stream of water coming out and this is what will kill a sensor within a few minutes. It's better to throw it out than to use old E85.

Another thing to watch out for is temperature shocking the sensor. Don't preheat the sensor before starting as the internals of it will reach a couple of hundred C. A first start of the day usually has some condensation in it and this will hit the preheated sensor and can crack the internals. Just start the car as normal and the sensor will warm up within the first 20 seconds of startup.

I've had good luck with Innovate, I think sensor quality has more to do with it than the controller as I've seen varying results with different sensors.

Kind of off topic but you might find it interesting regarding leaving E85 sitting in your tank for long periods of time.

For fun (not really, I was lazy) I left E85 in a tank for 6 months. The E content increased from E85 to E87 over that time which indicates how much was was absorbed. You could work it out exactly (assuming the water dissolved into the fuel which it should below 20% water content).

You can do this via the dielectric constant (how a flex sensor works)

Dielectric constant of water = 80

Dielectric constant of E100 = 25.3

Dielectric constant of E0 (gasoline) = 2

Dielectric constant of E85 = 0.85*25.3 + 0.15*2 = 21.805

Dielectric constant of E87 = 0.87*25.3 + 0.13*2= 22.271

Assuming 1% of the "E87" was water you get
 =((0.85-(0.01/2))*25.3)+(((0.15-(0.01/2)*2)+(0.01*80))) = 22.3185

I think this maths is correct. Anyway you can see that a small amount of water can substantially change the E content reading

Lets say you somehow absorbed 6% water, you get a DI of 25.636 which is above E100 and would clip the sensor and read E100

This is all at a temperature of 20°C

• Like 2

Yerp I was also lazy, leaving some in the tank for that long or perhaps a few months longer. I was scratching my head wondering what all the water was doing coming out of the exhaust and it took me 2 sensors in the span of a day to unlazy myself and drain the fuel. It was an expensive lesson to learn.

On 11/19/2023 at 11:36 PM, GeorgeAuto said:

Ok great let me know how much you're after please, I got a Wideband in there at the moment, just want to log into the software, all my mates are saying I should have gone AEM, I ended up with an innovate LC2 doing ok at the moment on 98 but heard that Innovate not so good with 85, hearing lots of varying info though so confused, thanks for reaching out 

Hey @Roland@pcmtec found a spelling mistake “turbiee” thought I’d bring to your attention image.thumb.jpg.54af6d1c9d55c90d4e3282689e65106f.jpg

47 minutes ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

We have a lookup table of hundreds of words to auto correct. Parameter naming is horrendously time consuming and difficult. If anyone is in Adelaide looking for a part time job, I've got one for you. 

I've got time on my hands, can I work from home? I'm undertaking intensive physical rehab after a nasty injury.

• 2 months later...
On 2/13/2024 at 10:35 PM, natho said:

Looks like there are still stock issues for the DLP-IO8-G. Are there any other options?

Is this the solution that workshops are using when tuning with PCMTec?

Most workshops use the dyno with the wideband and log basics like timing/rpm/spark directly that way from our experience, almost none of them used the DLP-8 hence it not getting any updates in the recent years. This is currently the only implementation we have for the Falcon. We can provide the DLL implementation (it is basically open source) specification of anyone wanted to build their own replacement and sell it.

You could also try contacting Nistune as this was their primary analog input datalogging solution at one stage.

I know @hjtrbo built an emulator to allow his innovate to be used. We can change the hardcoded COM port name detection to detect a different name to work with his implementation if it is available and still works.

On 2/13/2024 at 11:05 PM, natho said:

Looks like there are still stock issues for the DLP-IO8-G. Are there any other options?

Is this the solution that workshops are using when tuning with PCMTec?

RS Components export site are showing 335 available.

DLP Design - DLP-IO8-G - Data Acquisition 8 channels Analogue Digital Input, DLP Series - RS (rs-online.com)

Do you have virtual serial port software (e.g. Eltima Virtual Serial Port), a decent RS232 to USB adaptor and a DLP-IO8?

I do have a solution, but it's a bad hack and not something I'd release public just yet. From time to time I circle back to it and make improvements.  

FWIW I just run my wideband 0-5V to the DLP. If you go that way, observe good power, grounding and signal practices and it'll work just fine.  

Thanks for the replies guys.

@Roland@pcmtec, that makes sense. The dyno I have access to has just been upgraded from the ancient DOS-based dyno dynamics system to a YourDyno setup, including a CAN interface - so ultimately I may be able to take advantage of that. I do however have to weld up a transfer case (or find one to borrow), and learn a bit more about PCMTEC and the ford approach to SD etc. before I can do much more than datalogging while on the road, which is all I'm aiming to do at the moment.

@hjtrbo, no I don't have all of that - it wasn't clear to me you actually needed the DLP-IO8-G to use your solution. I did see it was available from rs-online overseas, but it's a pretty expensive option once you add shipping. I'll be giving the nistune arduino option a go first, will give in and order a DLP-IO8-G from overseas if that fails.

On 11/9/2021 at 9:52 AM, Matt@pcmtec said:

Possible alternative for DIY enthusiasts with Arduino device (such as the Nano or Mini). The project I've pasted here

https://forum.nistune.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3880

Load the Arudino IDE, create a new project, paste code, compile and upload to the Nano/Mini

Connect all unused inputs to ground, then it works same as the DLP

Been thinking about this solution tonight.

I'm not familiar with adruino, but I am with pic mcu's. It's not much work to add canbus to this. And probably better than using my emulator to be honest.

8 hours ago, hjtrbo said:

Been thinking about this solution tonight.

I'm not familiar with adruino, but I am with pic mcu's. It's not much work to add canbus to this. And probably better than using my emulator to be honest.

Quoting my own post lol. 

The trick to getting this to work is the serial to uart must be ftdi and named "DLP-IO8"