HOWTO: 8 Channel Analog Input Datalogging

Roland@pcmtec

To log up to 8 analog inputs (or 16 with a different cable) you can use the following analog input cable from DigiKey. It is approximately $45 + delivery. Free delivery if you spend over $60.

https://www.digikey.com.au/product-detail/en/DLP-IO8-G/813-1010-ND/1894342/?itemSeq=286026595

The driver is already included in the PCMTEC Editor installer so no extra software is needed. They do have a package on their website to test the cable separately to our software if you want which can be downloaded here.

https://www.dlpdesign.com/usb/io8.shtml

To wire up your DLP cable you can read the data sheet here or follow our test pictures below.

http://www.dlpdesign.com/usb/dlp-io8-ds-v17.pdf

Wiring

If you have 1 wideband, simply wire the ground to the ground pin, wire the postive input to pin 1, next loop the rest of the input pins (2,3,4,5,6,7,8) to ground to stop the signals floating. You don't have to do this, but the inputs will likely read 5v if you don't.

If you have 2 widebands, simply do the same and wire the second sensor to pin 2 and remove the ground loop from pin 2.

Here we have looped the ground pins on input 5-6-7-8-GND to stop the signals floating.

image.png.c386c9b4dcef020b586a7d050fd40e42.png

image.png.df34f1583558515be629776d9351f958.png

Ensure drivers are correctly installed. If not then use the direct link:

http://www.dlpdesign.com/cdm21228certified.zip

Show look like this inside Device Manager:

image.png.b194ff60ec0b0f8330eef78aecb92dbf.png

In PCMTEC press the DLP button in the datalogging screen to connect to the cable. Next select which of the 8 analog inputs you would like to log here:

image.png.0a45747b9065cdcf1c5518c3b7327732.png

To

image.png.25c126c15f31d6bf2aae34d71d3b30db.png

To change the description/units press F2 to enter Edit mode, then click in the Units field and type the new Units

image.png.04b493ea42e4408b275176f09793e992.png

Note: Unit Edit - Version 2.0 onwards only

To modify the voltage lookup table right click and pick "Equation"

image.png.db967385c0a73749921f2919858d3642.pngimage.png.ac59748ced0baf170654ae9fa87a8901.png

You can enter in a new voltage lookup table here to suit your wideband etc. 5v = 5120 and 1v = 1024.  Eg 1024 * voltage = A/D count

If you have data from your wideband documentation that for example specified 1.2 lambda at 4.5v and 0.55 lambda at 1v you would enter the data as follows:

1v *1024 = 1024 A/D

4.5v * 1024 = 4608 A/D

So your table will be:

0, 0.55

1024; 0.55

4608; 1.2

5120; 1.2

..repeat

5120; 1.2

This will clamp your lambda reading between 0.55 and 1.2 lambda.

Display Range

To adjust the display range, right click on the scalar and Adjust Range (or right click on the chart scales)

image.png.1a4011cc17a2660c8c7ab974216e2dfd.png

image.png.e13ace455084fe2584ed40b656771b4f.png

You can then see the adjusted range in the chart

image.png.eb32f3a39611551be58b81d36b2bd262.png

image.png

Edited by Matt@pcmtec
Updated images
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 4:38 PM, DanStraffa said:

Have you done an equation for an AFR gauge? Or all AFR gauges are different?

I just set up my techedge and it was straight forward. 0V = 9 afr and 5V = 19 afr.

With the equation, I literally put a 9 and a 19 in the first and second cells respectively in the right column and it was done. It will interpolate between the first 2 vertical cells so there is no need to use the entire column.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Is it possible to use the 20 Chanel version?
https://www.digikey.com.au/product-detail/en/dlp-design-inc/DLP-IO20/813-1027-ND/2135093

Is there a limit in the software as to how many aux analog channels can be logged?

thanks

jake. 

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

There is an arbitrary limit of 8 at the moment, only because no one has logged more than 1 input to date. 

No dramas, I’m a little way of having all my instrumentation finished (need isolation cash😉)so 8 will do for a bit.
thanks,

jake. 

• 2 months later...

Almost every wideband is going to output a 0 to 5 volt signal. Usually it is on a spare wire that isn't connected to the wb gauge. You connect this wire to the DLP8, which in turn is connected to your computer via USB. You can configure PCMTec to output a data channel based on whatever signal the DLP8 is seeing.

So it goes; wideband=>DLP=>USB/PCMTec

The first post in the thread shows you how to set it up.

Have a read of this for what the DLP8 can do and how it works: https://www.dlpdesign.com/usb/dlp-io8-ds-v17.pdf

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stevenbruzz said:

Does the software allow the ability for serial port data input? I have a AEM Wideband with serial out just want to know if the software will detect it

It is on the list for one day, however we don't get many requests for it so the priority is quite low. Unlikely to happen before mid next year.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Alrighty I tried that and after a few clicks of start and pause and then pressing F2, the log disappeared and then nothing would happen.

I reloaded a log and F2 is doing nothing again. I know I have my moments but surely I can't be so daft as to not be able to follow simple instructions?!

Edited by Puffwagon
Why not?

4 hours ago, yoda598 said:

Mine isn't happy.

You might have to reinstall the drivers for the dlp8 cos mine wouldn't connect until I did that, even though it had been working previously.

Also I'm pretty sure you have to run a wire from the wb- to the wb gnd. At least that is how mine is set up, although it's been freaking ages since I read the techedge instructions.

20 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

You might have to reinstall the drivers for the dlp8 cos mine wouldn't connect until I did that, even though it had been working previously.

Shouldn't need any drivers installed for the DLP cable as we embed the usb/serial driver in the pcmtec installer.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Have we found a fix for when pressing F2 to change the name / unit doesn't work?? Have tried many different scenarios..  and remembering dlp1 as afr and dlp2 as fuel pressure etc is a little taxing 😆

• Like 1

When its done and when its done. Could be anytime in the next month and next year, time estimates are basically impossible. 2.0 is finished but we are doing QA now and it all comes down to how many bugs we find and how long they take to finish, the other one comes down to a third party's time availability.

• 1 month later...

hi sorry newby trying to follow the above instructions but need some clarification. Under wiring above sez "wire the ground to the ground pin, wire the postive input to pin 1" 

Can't find any documentation for LSU4.9 that clearly points out (to me anyway) positive and ground wires. Would generally expect the red to be positive and the black to be ground but online research has confused me saying that the common/yellow wire is the positive and the pump/red wire is the ground. Is that correct? With only 2 wires connected does it perform its heating function?

Edited by racca

• 3 months later...
21 hours ago, TommyH said:

i clicked on to the digikey website and it states 12 week leadtime for the dlp108, is this the only unit compatible with pcmtec?

im not tech savvy so excuse the question .

That is news to us! 

I'll see if we can arrange a bulk order.

They used to be available in regular stock. 

On 11/7/2021 at 2:42 PM, Roland@pcmtec said:

That is news to us! 

I'll see if we can arrange a bulk order.

They used to be available in regular stock. 

@Roland@pcmtec I've been looking at getting one too & have seen DigiKey show Nil stock as does Mouser & RS AU don't seem to list them & some suppliers are saying discontinued. I don't know if DLP Design have discontinued them or the sellers. The only place I've found showing stock is https://ex-en.alliedelec.com/product/dlp-design/dlp-io8-g/70372089/?keyword=70372089
I was going to order one today but if you're considering doing a bulk order, I might be better off waiting if you're going look into to do a bulk order....The DLP-IO14 & DLP-IO20 both are available through DigiKey but are overkill & much more expensive.
Let us know what you come up with & expected time frames or if we should be sourcing one.

Edited by Bill
Updated link for Australian customers