HOWTO: ABS Reprogramming

UPDATE: As built data is being collected here, thanks to Mick for starting the group, great to see everyone contributing as it helps us all out.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/australianforscanusersgroup

Original Post:

It is becoming increasingly common for customers to convert NA Falcons to Turbo. When the entire drive train and all modules are swapped this is relatively easy, the problem occurs when customers add a turbo to an NA engine swapping the PCM only, leaving the NA ABS module.

Previously the advice was to source a turbo ABS module from the same vehicle, or attempt to reprogram it with Ford IDS which is fairly tricky.

Recently there have been updates to Forscan which allow editing the ABS module as built data. As such you can change a non turbo ABS module to a turbo ABS module.

One customer has recently tested this on a Mk1 NA FG automatic ZF 6 speed which had a turbo PCM, TCM installed but the NA ABS module was left in the car.

To reprogram the ABS module we installed Forscan with an extended functionality license (Very cheap and a great product!) and saved the NA ABS module as built data as a backup. The customer then connected to a Mk1 FG Turbo ZF 6 speed and downloaded the as built data. The turbo as built data was then uploaded to the NA conversion vehicle and voila, no more ABS fault.

Please be aware if this is done wrong you may be left with a non functional ABS system.

Process we followed is below:

Download Forscan here:

https://forscan.org/download.html

Then connect to the vehicle.

image.png.abd71d43e1eef82a980659cad6da2f03.png

Select Configuration and Programming and select the ABS module.

image.png.6e556304ac9d3821325d33f95cc36635.png

image.png.8d08b53f0bf0c6c3eaa6eecbf0620eed.png

Now "Save All" the as-built data.

Follow the same steps on the turbo vehicle.

Now "Load All" and "Write All" the as built file from the turbo vehicle on the converted NA vehicle and restore the data. If you have any issues you can always restore your backup. If you have a manual BF or an auto Mk1 FG you can use the supplied files below AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Now please ensure you test these changes in a safe environment on an engine dyno if possible. Also test your ABS still functions correctly afterwards in a safe environment. There is no guarantees with this process however it appears to work on the FG Mk1 Series of vehicles which has been tested.

As built data can be downloaded below:

FG Mk1 ZF6 Turbo as built

FG-Mk1-XR6T-ZF6_Turbo_ABS.abt

FG Mk1 ZF6 NA as built

FG-Mk1-NA-ZF6_ABS.abt

BF Mk2 6 Speed Manual Turbo as built

BF 6 Speed Manual ABS.abt

Anyone who has the following and can  please read and upload your as built files from your ABS modules it would be muchly appreciated. Please note the model (eg ute, sedan, g6 etc). This will greatly assist others if you can share this information.

BA Manual

BA Auto Turbo

BF Auto Turbo

FG Mk1 Manual Turbo

FG Mk2 Manual Turbo

FG Mk2 Auto Turbo

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am no means an expert and happy to be corrected on anything I say.

Mk2 & FGX run a different ABS unit "Bosch 9" from memory and the calibration comes from the Central Car Config.

From what I understand,  all modules are the same with an internal YAW sensor.

1407125612_FGXUTE-MODULEPROGRAMMING.png.4beae19ee29e678446c8a7e9ad14dab8.png

Above is from a Forscan session connected to a FGX. Mk2's are the same.

And below is a snippet from IDS showing the CCC data from a Mk2 F6.

512647736_ABSIDS.thumb.jpg.1e8010762828a81a3778d2df73abc6a8.jpg

I have yet to install a latter module ABS unit to my Mk1 FG, so I haven't tested the init/relearn function as Ford changed the plug unfortunately.

But will update this thread when I do.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Superb said:

I am no means an expert and happy to be corrected on anything I say.

Mk2 & FGX run a different ABS unit "Bosch 9" from memory and the calibration comes from the Central Car Config.

From what I understand,  all modules are the same with an internal YAW sensor.

Above is from a Forscan session connected to a FGX. Mk2's are the same.

And below is a snippet from IDS showing the CCC data from a Mk2 F6.

I have yet to install a latter module ABS unit to my Mk1 FG, so I haven't tested the init/relearn function as Ford changed the plug unfortunately.

But will update this thread when I do.

Great information.

• Like 1

Hmmm, very interesting topic this one.

So I'm not sure if you are aware but in the FPV FG F6 MK2, The ABS module will not let you turn DSC off even though you can see as part of the tune file that you just need to hold the button for 10 seconds. This does absolutely nothing. DSC is on permanently either way and if you even try to steer away the yore sensor will also cut power. They did this to keep the 5 star ANCAP rating but it is F#$king dangerous. If you do lose control of the car, the car just cut power whether you have Traction Control on or off and straightens up the car. It doesn't know where it is straightening the car up to though and if you are sideways, you are now heading straight for the gutter, trees or wherever the car happens to be pointing. Hence, extremely dangerous.

I have noticed that if you do manage to do a burn out because the throttle body cut has been turned off thru tuning that you can do this in a straight line as the yore sensor with cut power and also you are restricted to 2 gears. If you start in first gear, it will let you change to second gear and continue the burnout but as soon as you hit third gear, power is cut. If you start the burnout in second gear, you can change to third gear but then once you hit 4th gear, the power is cut. I think the power is also cut once you reach the limit of either second or third gear depending on which gear you lost traction in to start with.

It makes me curious if you could put the settings of a FPV FG F6 MK1 which does allow DSC to be turned off into the MK2 and realistically make the car safer.

On a side note to that, I also have an FGX XR6 Turbo and it will allow you to do a burnout in first gear only where as the FPV FG F6 MK2 will not allow you to do a burnout in first gear as it shuts the throttle body. The FGX shuts the throttle body as soon as you hit 2nd gear or you reach the end of first gears speed/capability. The yore sensor will even allow you to steer completely sideways as long as you stay in first gear but again you are unable to turn DSC off at all.

Yes I realise this all sounds a bit hoon like but for me it is more about making the car safer and also has its applications on the track. On the drag strip, you need to pull out a whole heap of fuses just to do the burn out with your foot on the brake at the same time In the FPV FG MK2 F6. The fuses pulled are all to do with ABS so that DSC is not enabled which is really a pain in the arse and the dash is lit up like a Christmas tree because of all the failed modules from pulling all the fuses under the hood and in the cabin. It would be so much easier just to hold the button for traction control and DSC for 3 seconds which will turn DSC of in the FG MK1 than pulling fuses. It would also mean that if you are doing some kind of track work that you still have ABS for safety which you lose when you pull all the fuses.

Thoughs???

• Confused 2

Yeh nar 

Mk2 onwards has Driveline protection which PCMtech has mapped, not all Strategies have it But it’s there and this is what you’re actually seeing and not limited too F6 variants 

Have multiple FG F6 Mk2’s and FGX customers who love 4th gear ZF action 

Jus sayn 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if this is applicable to the earlier Bosch 8.0 SX Territory ABS units - in order to add Hill Descent. The wiring for hill descent was on all territories - it just needed a switch in the blanking to the lower left of the steering wheel.

Time to dig out some 10 year old Data and see if I'd captured my original As-Built on the old SX. I didn't know it was called As-Built at the time, but I remember seeing it. 

Lukeyson

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Cbertram said:

anyone have the as built data for mk1 fg G6E turbo 

FORScan 2.4.2 Beta has the functionality to use the pcm VIN to check the Ford as-built database & download the as-built data file if it's available. It can also check the firmware of some OBDII interfaces & update the interface firmware. There has been a few problems reported & 2.4.2 version has currently been removed from the downloads area. Depending on what you were going to use 2.4.2 for, it may work fine. I believe most of the issues were around programming APIM.

When it becomes available again, you will need an internet connection to check & download the as-built data. Don't forget to save your current configuration for all modules before doing any programming so you have data to revert back to should something not be right.

2 minutes ago, Cbertram said:

Yes have turbo ecu and engine swapped my na G6E to turbo so the factory one won’t help 

If it's a FG MK1, I think it might be able to be changed the same way as it's done in BF. I believe FG MK2 is done via central configuration but haven't had access to an FG1 or FG2 to confirm.

Select the tab for - Configuration & Programming. Don't select ABS Module Configuration (As-Built)....you need to select the second option - ABS Module Configuration, if available & press the play button at the bottom left. If you have access to the car the pcm came from, there will be an ABS value on the TEAR Tag that should match one of the values below.

Select the correct value and write it. If you don't have access to the TEAR Tag info on the car the pcm came from, you could try the XR6 Turbo or G Turbo options to see if one works. Start with the one that the you believe the pcm came from ie if XR6T, then use the XR6T value. The pcm will be looking for a match in calibration.

I have corrected BF swaps this way without changing the as-built data. Remember, as with all programming, there are risks. Don't try making changes unless you are confident in what you are doing and you have the correct equipment & a stable connection.

Disregard the highlighted blue option below. I borrowed the image from an earlier post.

image.thumb.png.936edf42d8815d67dbb2792a441c6a64.png

2 hours ago, Bill said:

FORScan 2.4.2 Beta has the functionality to use the pcm VIN to check the Ford as-built database & download the as-built data file if it's available. It can also check the firmware of some OBDII interfaces & update the interface firmware. There has been a few problems reported & 2.4.2 version has currently been removed from the downloads area. Depending on what you were going to use 2.4.2 for, it may work fine. I believe most of the issues were around programming APIM.

When it becomes available again, you will need an internet connection to check & download the as-built data. Don't forget to save your current configuration for all modules before doing any programming so you have data to revert back to should something not be right.

That is really interesting to know. I tried downloading as built data via vin from the motorcraft site but it only had the pcm when entering a Falcon VIN. Does Forscan manage to find asbuilt ABS data? 

Edit: looks like it works the same as an IDS offline session and let's you reload it from a list. Very handy! 

9 hours ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

That is really interesting to know. I tried downloading as built data via vin from the motorcraft site but it only had the pcm when entering a Falcon VIN. Does Forscan manage to find asbuilt ABS data? 

Edit: looks like it works the same as an IDS offline session and let's you reload it from a list. Very handy! 

I've only tried this with a BF XR6T & am getting an error for the BEM.....incorrect number of blocks so I can only assume it includes the BEM data & data for other modules. I haven't tried other modules yet. Further investigation shows it's been fitted with the wrong BEM at some point. The current BEM has faults for seat memory module etc that are not fitted. From your edit, it looks like you might already have 2.4.2. If not, let me know if you want a copy

8 hours ago, Cbertram said:

Ok have done it to f6 mk1 has cleared abs related issues but now still showing transmission fault 

Unless you fitted the tcm from the vehicle you got the pcm from I'd expect that you would be getting transmission faults. You would need to know the TEAR TAG or strategy info as a minimum if you plan on trying to reprogram the tcm to match.

There are several topics on ZF's if you search. If you get stuck, search for Whiteford & contact Jack. He may not give away info but he is a go to when it comes to ZF programming & can reprogram TCM's on the bench.

On 10/11/2020 at 9:00 AM, Bill said:

If it's a FG MK1, I think it might be able to be changed the same way as it's done in BF. I believe FG MK2 is done via central configuration but haven't had access to an FG1 or FG2 to confirm.

Can confirm for MK2 & FGX "Module initialization/relearn from Central Config" does work 😁

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all, 

I've been playing with a few things on my SY territory turbo ghia.  I noticed that the FPV F6x strategy has a few extra parameters particularly for transmission that could be useful....

so, I tried merge to change from HACH4K6 to HACH4A4.  trans strategy from 6R79 to 8R79

All seems to work.....but i have ABS and Traction error.  Am i correct to assume that this is due to different ABS program?

I have Forscan also, and probably can reprogram ABS, but i dont has as built data for the FPV F6x

to answer my own question. incase it's useful for anyone else.

It seems the F6x had a different calibration of the ABS for bigger brakes, but it also must have a different ABS module.  Using forscan, if I select F6x in the configeration, it tries to load it to the ABS, but then fails - incompatible module.

so im back to my HACH4K6 config

8 hours ago, jpm600 said:

to answer my own question. incase it's useful for anyone else.

It seems the F6x had a different calibration of the ABS for bigger brakes, but it also must have a different ABS module.  Using forscan, if I select F6x in the configeration, it tries to load it to the ABS, but then fails - incompatible module.

so im back to my HACH4K6 config

Here's a summary of the differences in ABS modules used in the SY Territory......Bosch 5.3 & Bosch 8.0.

F89BE195-C128-40E1-87FD-9399620DE3C4_4_5005_c.jpeg

E26409D3-6409-40CF-B66C-1E9250AEA8B3_4_5005_c.jpeg

8D0D4697-4218-4B44-B087-DC1BF5358C8D_4_5005_c.jpeg

6A6ACEC0-EBF1-4ECD-9048-C03A6FA2ECB8_4_5005_c.jpeg

Edited by Bill
Add additional image
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

Great info Bill! Does anyone know what DSC actually does btw?

This is Ford's explanation of what DSC does & how it's done using the yaw sensor, an acceleration sensor, wheel speed sensors, ABS and/or TCS & engine management.

C21735E4-DC7A-45EC-BBDC-4ABBDA68C728.jpeg

• Like 1

First post (just bought the Enthusiast version 😁).
DSC has 3 modes: both dynamic stability control and traction control; just one (can't remember which one stays on, but I think it's traction control); both off.

All AWD terries had the Bosch 8.0 ABS module, which also comes with a slightly different brake master cylinder (a lot of wreckers don't know this).
I was playing around with forscan to try to get Hill Descent Control to work, but never could get it working. For the Bosch 8.0 module, I've only found three different as built data: non-turbo, turbo and F6X. These just contain the tear tag ABS numbers and don't seem to be interchangeable.

• Like 2

Yeah, matches my experience.  All AWD territory's have bosch 8.0 ABS modules, but forscan doesnt seem to be able to change the calibration.... incompatible. 

It also may cause problems, given the bigger brakes on the F6x, the abs may not function as designed if you could change the calibration.

Hill descent is interesting 'cause it was an option on all AWD models, so all calibrations are probably capable of having it, but i dont know how it was enabled at the factory.

Edited by jpm600

There appears to be a bit that can be set in the instrument cluster as built that allows the HDC light to turn on or not. This doesn't seem to affect the operation as far as I can tell. The HDC switch seems to go straight to the "Vehicle Directional Control" module. So it seems the ABS unit is what controls everything.

From the research I've done, it seems the Bosch 8.0 units without HDC have an F stamped on the top (I think it was an F). Whereas the HDC units had a H stamped on in. It is possible that Bosch is the one that programs them and sells them as distinct units to Ford.

I'd be interested in hearing how you get on with your transmission strategy merging. Perhaps a gradual transition to the F6 strategy would be the way to go (?), rather than trying to merge all changes.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, Bugsy said:

Hey guys.

Would anyone have the Ba as built file.

Customer has changed pcm, bcm key and key reader but not the abs module.

Now got no speed reading .

Thank in advance 

You'll find the speed source setting is incorrect in the PCM for the vehicle.

The BA uses 2 different ABS systems. The first is a 3 channel system for ABS equipped vehicles & a 4 channel system for ABS/TCS equipped vehicles. I wouldn't expect that the calibrations would be in any way compatible which rules FORScan out as an option for fixing your issue.

I believe you'll have 3 options.....I'd go with option 2 if you have the original PCM

Option 1. licence the PCM & change the speed source setting to match the original PCM.....there may still be other differences in the calibration that may cause problems

Option 2. See below....HOWTO: PCM Replacement

Option 3. change the ABS module to suit the pcm. You'd also need to confirm there are no body wiring loom differences, brake master cylinder is the same etc.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi team,

I bought an FG G6E NA converted Turbo a while back. It's running the original NA PCM (with an Eboost2 for separate boost control) and the original ABS Module. The Transmission was always a ZF6HP26 but the original transmission was swapped with one out of a turbo. I believe the TCM in the new transmission was paired with the NA PCM.

I am now looking to upgrade the PCM and wiring harness' to a set from a MK1 turbo (Found a MK1 F6 donor vehicle), the reason being, I'd like to ditch the Eboost2 boost controller and revert to PCM boost control so that I can run a flex-fuel sensor allowing for the automatic adjustment of boost parameters as required. 

I could possibly get the ABS Module out of this donor vehicle at an additional cost, or this money and time and have mine reprogrammed, along with my TCM to match the turbo PCM. 

My first question is, once Forscan is downloaded, can I use a Bluetooth OBDII adapter to communicate with the vehicle? If not, what is the best method of connection??

Also, I just wanted to confirm, do I need the keys/ignition barrel from the donor vehicle also? I heard that these may need to match the PCM also, is this not the case, or can my existing set be reprogrammed also??

Finally, if the donor vehicle was no longer in a state that allowed for the download of the ABS and TCM module config files (and possibly key/barrel related files, if required), can one use the tear tag info on the PCM and the info on the placard in the drivers door jam to source these files easily enough? and has anyone tried removing these stickers and reusing with any success??

Thanks for your time & assistance team!!!

Best regards 

Benny

50 minutes ago, BennoG6ET said:

I believe the TCM in the new transmission was paired with the NA PCM

I spoke to the previous owner and the TCM from the original ZF6HP26 transmission was installed in the replacement Turbo ZF6HP26. Are they they same from a hardware point of view? 

One more thing, how about the BCM... Does this need to be reprogrammed to match the replacement PCM from the donor vehicle also?

Thanks legends!!!😁👍

On 8/8/2021 at 5:34 PM, BennoG6ET said:

I believe the TCM in the new transmission was paired with the NA PCM

Thanks Roland😁👍

So the TCM can definitely be reprogrammed by Forscan just like the ABS Module? (I guess I'd need to either download the TCM file from the donor vehicle, or source it from somewhere using the placard details from the donor vehicle)

Also mate, was there anything from my earlier comment that you could possibly provide any advice on?

Mainly regarding:

- the best way to connect to the car after downloading Forscan (I don't expect you to be an expert on it, just thought you may have some experience or know how😅👍), - as well as sourcing the files for the ABS and TCM should the donor vehicle no longer be in a state where this is possible to do so.

Thanks for your time and AWESOME assistance as always😊👍

Forscan can change asbuilt data only. It cannot reprogram a TCM, you require PCMTEC Professional edition to do that. There is no such thing as "pairing" a TCM. It is either the correct strategy or it is not.

You need to know exactly what strategy to put in the TCM so that it matches the PCM and ABS calibrations. If it doesn't match you'll at best have an ABS fault, at worst you'll be stuck in limp mode/3rd gear.

There is a facebook group linked above for ABS files. If no one has the file you'll need to find someone with the correct vehicle and download it from their car.

PCMTEC Editor professional has a database with 90% of the TCM files available, providing of course you know the file name as there are 40+ of them. If it is one of the 10% that we don't have, once again you'll need to find someone with the transmission and do a read from their vehicle.

If this is just a once off, it would make more sense to pay someone else to program the TCM for you as it is not a trivial operation and it isn't something we offer tech support for.

Good luck.

3 hours ago, BennoG6ET said:

- the best way to connect to the car after downloading Forscan (I don't expect you to be an expert on it, just thought you may have some experience or know how😅👍), - as well as sourcing the files for the ABS and TCM should the donor vehicle no longer be in a state where this is possible to do so.

If you plan on having a go at doing any programming using FORScan on a FG, I'd recommend the OBDLink Ex cable. It's proven to be a good cable capable of auto switching between CANbus networks as required. Make sure you buy a genuine one, not a clone & update the drivers when you get it. Avoid any cable with a manual switch.

Finally, if the donor vehicle was no longer in a state that allowed for the download of the ABS and TCM module config files (and possibly key/barrel related files, if required)

You can't download key/barrel related files. A parameter reset should work as per Roland's comment above.

can one use the tear tag info on the PCM and the info on the placard in the drivers door jam to source these files easily enough? and has anyone tried removing these stickers and reusing with any success??

These stickers shouldn't be removed from the original vehicle that it was affixed to. If you're caught with the sticker off another vehicle, expect to be suspected of re-birthing vehicles & the police to knock down your door. Take a photo if you need the details for programming purposes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1